Feb 26, 2012

Hand-painted Wall Texture


A small exercise that I did today, I might still work on it more later.  The texture was made tileable using Photoshop's Offset filter (basically paint your base texture, then offset it, paint out the seams, offset again, etc etc until no seams are left visible).  Tileable textures are useful for covering large surfaces (ie. landscapes, buildings, etc.) and are used in virtually all videogames since they take up far less memory than if everything was uniquely textured.  Pretty simple stuff, but it's nice to practice the basics every now and then.

I'm planning on doing a few environment scenes for my portfolio over the next few weeks, I'll post some concept art once I've settled on locations and the like.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This texture looks amazing! I am currently studying Animation and would love to use this texture in a render for an assessment coming up, any objections?

Frank Vanderwel said...

Sure! As long as I'm given credit for making the texture and it isn't being sold I'm cool with that. Email me if you want a higher res version.

Leandro Martins said...

Hey Frank,

This is probably an old post and I don´t know if you still have the files. But I am working on a animation test for my demoreel and would like to try to use your texture in the background if possible.

Do you mind? Credited of course.

Leandro

Leandro Martins said...

Hey Frank,

This is probably an old post and I don´t know if you still have the files. But I am working on a animation test for my demoreel and would like to try to use your texture in the background if possible.

Do you mind? Credited of course.

Leandro

Frank Vanderwel said...

Hi Leandro, yeah that's no problem if you use it, good luck with your test. Send me an email and I'll send you the original files.
fvanderwel@gmail.com
-Frank